Monday, May 31, 2010

Pick up your dog crap

Here’s a rant that goes out to all you oblivious, selfish or otherwise just plain lazy dog owners. Part of the responsibility of having a dog includes cleaning up after him/her. It comes with the territory, no If’s And’s or But’s about it, that’s the way it is.

 

First of all, there are those out there that will let their dog relieve themselves on a sidewalk and still walk away, leaving it for the next unsuspecting sidewalk user to take it with them on the bottom of their shoes. For those of you like this, I’m not writing to you. Not because you don’t need to hear this, but because you’re hopeless. Truly hopeless. And no rant will change that. Also, this doesn’t even include those of you who take the time to pick up after your dog (probably because someone was watching), only to throw the plastic bag in someone’s yard or flower bed!!!! For you, there really is little help.

 

So, for the rest of you that consider yourselves somewhat of a responsible dog owner, this rant  is for you.

 

I ride my bike to and from work every day. In an effort to avoid being run over by crazy, angry or oblivious motorists, I stick to the trails as much as I can. And, of course, these trails are great not only for biking, but jogging, hiking or even an evening stroll. Most people that enjoy these trails do so with their dogs, and I commend those that are committed to properly exercising Spike and Little Miss Muffy alike. But what I absolutely abhor is your inherent lack of sense with what to do with your dog’s crap.

 

Fine, we’re on a trail, out in the middle of nowhere. So I maybe understand that you don’t think you need to clean it up. In fact, if my dog is breaking a new trail through the bushes, you’re darn right I’m not going to follow him to pick up the crap. But if my dog decides to leave a warm, smelly gift right on the trail, yes, it is my responsibility to do something about it! Grab a stick. Grab a rock, I don’t care what, but grab something and simply flick that crap OFF the trail! It really isn’t hard, but if you do find it difficult let me know and I can upload a You Tube video of the simple steps:

1.       Dog takes a dump on the trail.

2.       Owner picks up stick from trail.

3.       Owner flicks crap off of trail.

4.       Owner throws stick into bushes.

 

Pretty simple, really, so let’s all give this brand new technique a try, eh? Please, save the rest of us coming behind you from stepping or riding through it and then having to enjoy that lovely aroma all the way back home. There, a short rant for a simple process that really shouldn’t be an issue.

 

I just have to say it again, why isn’t common sense more common???

 

No comments:

Post a Comment