Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Stanley Cup Finals and our Human Nature

Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. And my beloved Canucks are playing for the coveted cup. But, before they do I have a rant that I need to get off of my chest today. This rant is too big for a simple Facebook post, so I will post here instead. And where else should I post it but here? This seems like the perfect spot. I come here to get things off my chest that annoy me, and lately there have been quite a few. So, without any further adieu, let me dive into what’s bugging me today…

  • First of all, why are the bullets on this blog flowers and how can I change that? Not very ranty-like if you ask me…
  • In regards to Luongo and the scrutiny he’s been under. He apparently can’t handle pressure. He did happen to win an Olympic gold medal for his country, but whatever that obviously doesn’t count. He’s also not consistent? That must be why his stats year in and year out have been in the top amongst NHL elite goaltenders. And, finally, he can’t be trusted to start in goal tonight. Really? If it wasn’t for Lu in games 1,2 and 5 this series would’ve been over at 4 games. Give your head a shake, people!
  • Also, in reference to the Sedins being “weak”. All I can say is wow, wow, wow. Weak? Any fool can punch someone. It requires extremely little brain power and physical means to punch someone. My baby girl can’t stand on her own two legs, but can manage to slap me pretty good in the face if she wants to do so. Real strength comes through in spades when you are able to take constant abuse and walk away. Especially when that abuse goes un-punished night in and night out. Do you seriously think they enjoy turning the other cheek? Do you think it comes easily to not try and lash out in revenge? If you do, you have not had any hardships or unfair experiences dealt to you in your life. No dice, pal. We all know how hard this act is. By walking (skating) away, the Sedins have set an impressive example of what it means to truly be a man. How would they explain their retaliation to their kids? “No, little Sedin, you can’t hit people.” “But Dad, you did in your hockey game!” “Well, that’s different. Daddy was playing a game and that man wasn’t being nice. But you have to walk away even though I don’t do it in front of millions watching…” But, they are weak. Seems to me I recall many other great men of history that turned the other cheek and they are upheld as great examples of strength and resolve. Yet the Sedins are weak because they refuse to set an example to those of us watching of something bigger than a game of hockey.

And this is where our human nature comes in spades. The quick ability for us to focus on the negatives (Lu’s 3 losses, not his 3 wins that got us to game 7). Our desire to inflict pain as a method of revenge. Our lack of ability to see beyond the moment and look at the big picture.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment