Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Life is getting so connected

There’s an RVing commercial lately that states “Don’t let the things that connect us keep us from being together” (or something to that effect). It shows the family as Dad comes home from work (texting on his Blackberry). Son is playing on his PSP or something, Daughter is on her cell phone and Mom is... Well, I don’t know what she’s doing, but the point is they’re all so ‘connected’ to their gadgets that they don’t even say ‘Hi’ when Dad comes in the door. Disgusting!!!!

 

So, for myself, I can at least enjoy the squeals and yells of my kids for a few more years until they too become ‘connected’.

 

This isn’t really a rant per se, as I love technology. I have a smart phone (although no data plan or texting, hah!!!). I have our Xbox connected to our desktop which is networked wirelessly with our laptop... In fact, I had the cable coming through my Xbox at one point so we could pause, rewind and record live TV! I love being connected.

 

Granted, enough is enough. It seems nowadays that to leave a cell phone at home is cause for a National emergency. It warrants return trips home, being late for work/school, wasting gas, money and time just to go back and get it. It wasn’t that long ago that NOBODY had a cell phone and everyone seemed to survive OK. Just a few weeks ago Corrie and I noticed a boy riding his bicycle and texting! And then that same weekend, two girls out horseback riding on a beautiful mountain side with grand views of the Kamloops valley and one of them was texting!

 

So, I’m not really ranting, only that now I have discovered this option to post to my blog via email (who needs the inconvenience of actually going to a website, logging on, typing all of this up when I can just send it right from my email?). So, in essence, I’m testing this process. I’m sending this post from my email account. Sure, if this works, I will probably use it a lot. Post from anywhere! Heck, once I can afford a data plan (which will probably coincide with the same time that I can afford a Porsche and a big house... These plans in Canada are retarded, but that’s fodder for a different rant and post), I might even post to my blog from my phone!

 

Maybe I’ll be able to post from my Xbox wirelessly through my laptop connected to my TV and then through my truck’s OnStar system some day...

No comments:

Post a Comment