Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Diesels and Ignorance - Yes, they often do go together!

Well, as I am now biking to work (I suppose the proper term is 'commuting'), and only riding the streets 1/2 the time, I have quite a lot less things to rant about lately!

However, there are two things that do bother me now that I am riding that deserve a ranting post... First of all, DIESELS!!!

I absolutely am becoming a HATER of the diesel engine. Sure, it's great torque and power... WHATEVER! When I'm huffing up a hill grasping at any bit of breath I can manage, I really am not pleased when a dirty, black trail of diesel smoke is left by some redneck (usually Dodge's are the absolute worst for polluting). Yay! Now I get to breath this crap in spades!!!

On this note, why do we look down at the odd gasoline engine that is smoking, but no mention is made of the disgusting pollution left by most of the older diesels??? They are absolutely morbid in the black clouds of pollution they leave everywhere! I'm really excited about the new bluetec diesels coming out, that is great! And most of the trucks/cars are OK (aside from being astronomically noisy), but seriously. Do we have to put up with this?

Ok, my second rant is for those putzs out there that think they can drive as close to me and my bike as possible. You know what? For the most part, whatever. I can handle it. But what if I have to swerve for a rock or hole? What if a tire blows and I'm thrown off my bike? What if you're just plain oblivious and clip me? Why take the chance?

When I'm riding on multi-use trails, I do not fly right close to hikers or joggers or even other bikers. I will slow down, and take them as wide as I can. Why? Because everyone is unpredictable, and I do not need to crash with another person when it is completely avoidable. And that crash would most likely only result in a minor bump and/or bruise. Getting run over by a car? Quite another matter.

Last summer, a cyclist was killed in Kamloops because a blown tire threw him onto the highway where he was hit by a dump truck. Had that truck had the place of mind to get into the other lane (he had two, he did not need to be in the right line next to the cyclist), that man would be alive today with his wife and kids. As it is, one oblivious driver, one freak accident, and the results are unbelievably tragic. And for what?

Why not move over motorists? What is the huge inconvenience? Please! Have some common sense and decency. Give cyclists some respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment